Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Stunned disbelief

Stunned disbelief...

33 dead at Virginia Tech. Horror, shock, grief, fear. The students, their parents, the faculty, ...Cho Seung-Hui.

As a pastor, I'm supposed to have answers. I don't.

I have questions. What was going on in the tortured heart and mind of Cho Seung-Hui? What horrors defined his victims final moments? What of the grieving parents and families left behind?

I don't have answers but I do have faith. I believe that God grieves with us. I believe that what happened earlier this week is an example of the darkness of sin. It underscores why God hates sin....because it kills those He loves!

I pray for the families of the victims. I pray for the University Administration as they struggle to navigate this impossible situation amidst the media's callous criticism and blame game. I pray for a nation that has forgotten how to teach right and wrong and then wonders why people are so lost. I pray for those who will struggle with a new sense of fear.

In times like this, I am thankful for prayer. God listens and He responds. He will comfort the grieving and meet the seeking. When tragedy strikes we can become angry and fearful...

...or we can pray.



2 comments:

The Austin Project said...

Since becoming serious about my faith, I have had many questions. When I don't get answers, I ask myself, do I navigate this dark path alone, in my strength, with my resources OR do I trust God and continue to walk with Him acknowledging that He is God and I am not!

Our Story: Continued said...

Prayer is a great gift! When I've had to face hard things in my personal life, I always wonder how people who don't know Christ get through similar circumstances. My heart has been breaking for the families of the Virginia Tech victims and the shooter's family as well! I pray that God gives them comfort during this very difficult time in their lives!