Sunday, April 15, 2007

The object of faith

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. – John 15:7-8

Have you ever wanted something so badly that you practically begged God to bring it to pass? I have….and I will confess that some of these prayers have been answered in the way I desired and some haven’t. I will also confess that the ones not going my way have caused me a considerable amount of soul searching. The above passage from John 15 hasn’t really helped either. Was I not remaining in Christ? Were His words not in me? Was I not a “real” disciple?

I can see how remaining in Him and His words being in me would impact the way I pray. It causes me to pray differently; more like Him; according to His will. But in the case of many of my “unanswered” prayers, I felt like I was in Him, praying His will. Some might say I just didn’t have enough faith, which I suppose is possible, but I’m not so sure.

What if the problem lies not in the amount of faith but rather the object of my faith? I think when reading John 15:7, we get really excited about the phrase “whatever you wish”. The danger here is in putting our faith in a particular, desired outcome. “God is faithful and the scripture is true if He answers my prayer in the way I envision with the outcome I expect.” Instead, my faith needs to simply be in Him, trusting that His ways are higher than mine, His solutions better. Let me give you a hint: When God doesn’t respond as you would, remember…that’s why He’s God and you’re not. When we pray, let’s put our faith in our Father not in our idea of what should happen. He is working and some of those prayers we’ve given up on are being answered; just in a better way.

1 comment:

Beverly Lambert said...

I have been praying for my family for quite some time. Father has finally answered my prayers, but not as I would have liked. I realized that it is not what I wanted, but what He wants for me and my family. I have come to terms with this and I thank Our Lord for answering my prayers and have already seen changes being made.